Oakland was incorporated at its present location in May of 1882. For many years, the town of Oakland primarily served as a rural agricultural service center. While the community still fills that role today, it is also quickly evolving into a bedroom community for the Omaha-Council Bluffs metropolitan area. Oakland possesses many businesses and amenities including three parks, swimming pool, golf course, community center and West Nishnabotna River access. The Pottawattamie County Freedom Rock made its home in Chautauqua Park along with the 1st Battalion 168th Infantry Veterans memorial and the Eagles of Honor monument.